The museum is owned and run by Henfield Parish Council. It began in a small way in 1948 gaining its first permanent site when the new village hall was built in 1974. The present building was opened in 1994.
The objects exhibited range from early fossils and flint implements, through the Medieval and Tudor era to the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods. Household objects from these times recall Henfield in the past. There are many farm tools on display with a horse-drawn plough together with a mid-Victorian pump outside.
Uniforms of the Sussex Rifle Volunteers Regiment take pride of place, not only because they belonged to prominent Henfield members, but also because they were made by Longley Bros. outfitters, close to the museum in Henfield High Street. Dresses from a more leisurely time show how Henfield ladies dressed in earlier times.
There is an extensive collection of local paintings and photographs showing the village, churches, farmhouses, country houses, cottages and rural lanes, etc.
An eight-change bell set made in the early Victorian period by local eccentric, Bob Ward, and a ""penny farthing"" bicycle made in 1887 by Mr. W. A. Powell who had a workshop in the High Street have a prime position in the Museum. Nearby is a one man ambulance purchased by the Parish Council in 1908 and in use until the 1930's. Railway relics remind us of the Horsham to Shoreham Railway closed in 1966.